At St Michaels we believe that English and the command of the English spoken language is a fundamental life skill. Our principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding within an integrated programme of reading, writing, speaking and listening, Children will be given regular opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills.
By the age of 11 we aim for each child to be able to:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct.
- Have an interest in books and reading for pleasure.
- Have an interest in words and their meanings, developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Understand a range of text types and genres.
- Write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation.
- Be developing the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
- Have a have a good level of technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.